Project DetailsCode: CONCUKMTV02
Start date: 07 jul 2018
End date: 02 sep 2018
Term: Long Term (1 Month to a Year)
Category: SOCIAL, ENVIRONMENTAL
Theme: EDU, ENVI, SOCI
Country: United Kingdom
Airport: Aeropuerto de Londres-Heathrow (LHR)
Minimum Age: 18
DescriptionThe YMCA is offering the opportunity to 2 volunteers to join a 2 month project in summer 2018 that will provide experience and training, running activities with children.
YMCA Fairthorne Group is a fast growing charity. Our mission is to champion and add value to young lives by providing experiences that challenge, enable and develop the individual. Fairthorne Manor, part of the Fairthorne Group, delivers outdoor education and environmental programmes to over 20,000 children and young people each year on both a residential and day basis. The Outdoor programme consists of a wide range of activities, including canoeing, climbing, bushcraft, abseiling, archery and a range of team games and pastoral activities. During term time, we deliver a diverse outdoor education programme to school and community groups, whilst during the holidays, we run an enormously successful Daycamp programme for children aged 4 to 16 years, catering for up to 500 children per day. We also run children’s birthday parties and family open days and camping, corporate team building days and community events such as Youth band practice, church meetings and counselling groups. Fairthorne Manor delivers services and programmes 7 days of the week throughout most of the year.
Work And Activities
You will be joining the very successful Daycamp programme as a Volunteer group leader, and trained in a variety of activities including Obstacle Course, Aqua Slide and Den Building, as well as group games and Playwork. You will have pastoral responsibility for groups of children aged 4-16 and will be their support and inspiration while they are here. You will need enthusiasm and imagination to welcome and provide an amazing experience for the children.
• Actively engaging children/young people, providing encouragement and support
• Being a welcoming and caring individual and an inspirational role model
• Working with and respecting others in a large and diverse team
• Being responsible for children’s welfare and pastoral needs during their stay
• Leading non ropes/water activities
• Ensuring quality provision and consistency of care
• Supporting Activity Instructors in “Kitting up/down”
• Assisting in the supervision of children on Instructor led activities
• Supervising the children’s lunch & break times and during “Manor Shop” time.
• Depending on age and ability, taking children to the toilet/helping them change out of wet clothes
• Managing children’s behaviour with support from the Age Group Leader
• To act in the interests of your own safety & the safety of others at all times
• Anything else reasonably requested by the management of the organisation
• To follow YMCA Fairthorne Group’s Safe Guarding, Child Protection and Safer Working practice policies at all times. Taking any concerns regarding a health or/and wellbeing to your line manager or senior management.
Accommodation And FoodAccommodation: Volunteers will be allocated a basic room, which may be shared with up to 4 other volunteers/instructors. Three meals a day will be will be provided in the dining room and there are toilet and shower facilities and a washing machine.
Please note, do not expect a 5* hotel! Fairthorne is more like a youth hostel with dormitory-style accommodation and basic facilities.
Working Hours: You will work Monday-Friday and have Saturdays and Sundays off. Your hours of work will be any set period between 7.45-6.00, some evening work will also be required. Please note the arrival date is the 7th July and the departure date the 2nd September.
PlaceLocation: Fairthorne Manor is located in a village called Curdridge which is near the city of Southampton on the South Coast of England. It is about 15 minutes’ walk from Fairthorne Manor into the village where there are shops and pubs. The nearest train station is Botley from where it is about half an hour’s journey into Southampton city centre.
Travel: Nearest airport: London or Southampton Airports
Nearest train station: Botley train station
• A caring, welcoming individual, who actively engages with children and adults alike, who listens and shows respect to all, and can be an exciting and inspiring role model.
• A genuine enthusiasm for the work of the organisation.
• Ability and willingness to relate positively to customers (many of whom are children) and staff.
• Ability to motivate others.
• Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
• A creative and flexible approach to the work of the organisation
Some experience of working with groups of young people in educational, youth or sporting environment..
Training: The YMCA offers full and comprehensive training in all elements of running outdoor activities.
Special Requirements: Volunteers will need to provide a certificate of good conduct /police check from home country, motivational letter and provide two references, including one from their most recent school/college or employer.
Language• Good level of English is required
NotesVolunteers are provided with £70 per week pocket money.
Once applications have been shortlisted, a skype interview will usually be conducted before confirming a place.