Project DetailsCode: CAT-LTV01
Start date: 01 may 2018
End date: 01 may 2019
Term: Long Term (1 Month to a Year)
Airport: Aeropuerto de Barcelona
Minimum Age: 18
DescriptionFADEAM- The Els Avets de Moià Foundation is a public non-profit organization for adults with intellectual disabilities, partially funded by the Generalitat de Catalunya. The attention is based on the relationship established with people with disabilities to achieve a home-based and inclusive dimension. Our goal is to offer people with intellectual disabilities in our region and in their surroundings a place to live, work and help in their integration into society. The organization is part of the International Federation of Arche Communities for people with intellectual disabilities, with 149 communities around the world. The objective is to establish mutual relationships, where inclusion, participation and responsibility are important for people with disabilities both in the organization and in society. Therefore, inclusion in society is essential to be open to the world that surrounds us and be part of the life of our city.
Community general aims
- Offer personal attention based on a family lifestyle. Living in small homes to promote personal relationships in a nearly and friendly environment.
- Promote and value the rights of people with disabilities: right to work, to a home, to education, to a life rich in relations within a family, community and society.
- Favour the development of personal skills and establish links with the local community.
- Ensure that persons with intellectual disabilities are recognised and accepted in their real, warm relations
- Promote equal opportunities relating work, inclusion and community and social participation.
- Promote reliable relations among the people attended, the monitors and the volunteers, in the homes and the workshop.
- Promote volunteering, in order to promote solidarity and human relations.
- Promote training and professional retraining of all our staff in order to improve the quality of the service, keeping a warm relation with the users.
This is a hosting service for adults with intellectual disabilities, in small homes in a family atmosphere, giving importance to daily life, sharing house duties, feasts and celebrations. The homes are a place where to live, growing and sharing.
At present, we have two homes, Els Avets, with 9 users, and L’Olivera, with 8.
Occupational Centre (Workshop)
It is a pre-working place. We develop also activities to offer a comprehensive service to the users and enable their integration in the pre-working, social and personal environments.
Currently 22 persons with intellectual disabilities are attending the Centre; 17 live in our houses and 3 live in the town or region with their families.
Work And Activities
1. Attention to the persons (as support to educators and professionals):
- Support to professional staff in charge of accompanying users in their daily activities (personal hygiene, services, activities,…) and in special moments (happy moments, deceases, losses and mourning times, illnesses,…)
- Help with the monitoring of the PIR (individual programme) of each person in the different areas: personal hygiene, food habits, health, social life and relations, personality,… through observation and listening to people. Offering new ideas and proposals to update the PIRs.
- Knowledge of the general project of the home and its application to daily life.
- Collaborate with the professional team with the pedagogical methods for each person (stated in the meeting with the psychologist)
2. Home dynamics (as support to educator and professionals):
- Help with the quality of the co-existence and relations in the home: entertaining, stimulation, acceptance of differences, conflict solving, and dialogue.
- Participate actively in the weekly home meeting, sharing and enabling communication and participation
- Collaborate in planning activities in and outside the home
- Promote feast and celebration periods: birthdays, folk feasts,…
- Collaborate with the organisation of the home so that everybody feels good. For ex. promoting alternatives for elders who cannot follow general activities.
3. Team work (as support to educator and professionals):
- Participate with all the home team (assistants, responsible, educators)
- Participate actively in all meetings proposed (home, with psychologist)
- Provide ideas, accept limits, ask for help, give support, use complementary skills,…
- Collaborate in welcoming new team members and try to accept changes needed for it (tasks distribution,…)
4. Material matters (as support to educator and professionals):
- Within the global educational project of the centre, collaborate with the care of the house, equipment, garden,…
- Collaborate with the economy of the house, helping buying the needed things according to the budget.
- Collaborate in cooking according to the security and hygiene rules and following individual diets when needed.
- Collaborate taking care of the vehicles with an adequate driving and helping with the periodic cleaning.
These activities are not just a routine, this is a comprehensive daily life project where all activities are related to a relational and vital living model.
5. Community matters (as support to educator and professionals):
- Collaborate in maintaining an attitude of respect and openness to know the characteristics of the Arche communities
- Participate in community activities such as feasts, fairs, celebrations, community meetings,…
Any contribution of volunteers is welcomed and considered.
Timetable and activities schedules may be changed when needed by the centre, the volunteer or for a better adaptation to his/her profile. Any change is subject of dialogue and assessment.
Accommodation And FoodThe volunteer will lodge in the same house with disabled people. This means that he/she will get a single bedroom (it may happen that we ask the volunteer to share the room for special times; but it doesn’t happen often) and a key of the house so he/she can enter or leave the house at every moment. There is also the possibility to lodge during the second half of the voluntary service in an apartment for volunteers.
PlaceMoianès County is located in central Catalonia, about 50 km North of Barcelona. It has a rich historic, natural and cultural heritage. Avets homes and the workshop are in the centre of the village, helping the integration and independence of the handicapped persons. There is public Transport to Barcelona by bus.
Requirements- Willing to know people with intellectual disabilities
- Willing to have a living together experience and community life
- Motivation to carry out a voluntary task, collaborating and giving as much as possible.
- Flexibility to adapt and work within a team.
- Open minded to be helpful when needed
- Positive and respectful attitude
- Willing to get involved in the organisation and its project
- Responsible attitude
- Be available from May 2018 for minimum 6 months up to 1 year. Priority will be given to volunteers able to stay 1 year.
- Basic knowledge of Spanish language and interest to learn Catalan (the language spoken in our area, together with Spanish) -knowing the basics of the language helps to communicate with people with disabilities and with the integration of the volunteer-.
- Driving licence is preferred
-The 200 euros extra fee for coordination and administrative costs has to be paid as soon as the volunteer is confirmed. Then, the volunteer will receive 150 euros every month as pocket money from the hosting organisation. This extra fee will be covering the coordination expenses and will give COCAT the opportunity to follow the volunteer giving him/her an extra on arrival training, mid-term and final evaluation
LanguageSpanish and Catalan (the language spoken in our area, together with Spanish). Frequency of classes will depend on level and needs of volunteer.
NotesBASIC CONDITIONS OFFERED TO LONG TERM VOLUNTEERS
- Accommodation and meals
- Basic Accidents and Liability Insurance but not Health Insurance, European Insurance card or Health Insurance is compulsory.
- Weekly Spanish lessons and Catalan lessons once a week (if wished)
- Non-formal training program about intellectual disabilities, first aid, house holding, hygiene, cooking, …
- Monthly allowance: 150€ (as pocket money)
- 2 free days per week and 2 days of vacation per month (these days can be compacted to get a longer vacations period, but not at the beginning of the stay).
- Continuous mentoring since arrival and throughout all the period of stay
- Final certification about the work done and competences acquired.
Free days and vacations
Every week the volunteer will get two free days. The average schedule is of 30 to 35 h of service/week.
Besides these 2 weekly free days, every month the volunteer can take a plus of two free days more. The volunteer has also the possibility to compact the days for a longer vacation.
Training and support:
- The mentor will support the volunteer and follow up the progress of the volunteer in the organization. He/she will be listened to, supported, guided and helped with any matter needed. Meetings will be as often as needed, usually every 15 days. At the beginning, the monitoring is done daily and is focused in giving information for a good integration. The volunteers receive special help to integrate in the local community.}
HOW TO APPLY AND SELECTION PROCESS :
If you think you fit to our project, apply filling the “Applicant Form” before 30th December if your profile matches with the requirements, you’ll be contacted by the hosting organisation to have a skype interview and you will know the selection process results before the end of January.