Project DetailsCode: BVBP-003
Start date: 23 jul 2018
End date: 13 ago 2018
Term: Workcamp (6-15 days)
Theme: ENVI, MANU
Airport: Aeropuerto Internacional Jorge Chávez
Minimum Age: 18
DescriptionThe "Kaypacha Kankunapa" project was carried out due to the concern of the members of the Brigada to improve the living conditions of our community brothers.
The branch of Palca of the Brigade of Bolivarian Volunteers of Peru launched the long-term project Kaypacha Kankunapa a year ago in order to create a local production center in the community of Huaruyoc.
The objective of this center is to generate an economic income for the community, working at the same time in an inclusive manner in order to involve the poorest part of the population, and using organic products from the area in order to promote a local development that respects the environment.
In particular, we work on
1. Eco-craftsmanship: (compilation, transformation and production)
2. Agroindustry: (collection, selection and transformation)
3. Eco-tourism: (valorisation, inventory)
The production center has been very successful and is well recognized in the local production landscape. The next step is the creation of a place of sale for the products of the center. In accordance with our logic of intervention, we want this store to have a social dimension as well, serving as a meeting place for locals and travelers, raising awareness of local problems and foster the ecotourism development.
Work And Activities
Set up an organic store to sell the good produced by the center and from the surrounding exploitations and participate in the center's production activities.
The volunteers will carry out various activities, not only the organization and decoration of the store, but will also take part in workshops about ecotourism and cultural exchange
• Preparation of a mural in the store in order to show cultural identity of the area.
• Construction of high relief tablets in mud as a tourist attraction.
• Work with children in the creation of a Bio-garden aiming to improve the food supplies (part of the program qaliwarma)
• Participation to production and handicraft workshops (Transformation of organic products, manual skills) in order to promote economic improvement for the people of the area.
Accommodation And FoodThe participants will be accommodated in the district of Palca, one of the nine districts of the province of Tarma, located 30 minutes from the provincial capital.
The accommodation will be in a family house with four rooms with basic services. (hygienic services, kitchen, common hall) The volunteers will sleep in shared rooms (bring your own sleeping bag). The meals will be cooked according to the participant need (Vegan, vegetarians etc.). In the free time they will participate in walks, sports, cultural exchange activities.
The host family has more than 7 years of experience with visitors from other countries.
PlaceThe district of Palca has a temperate climate, with moderate rainfall, and sunny and hot days from May to November. Palca is characterized for being a thriving town where 90% of its inhabitants are dedicated to agriculture and the remaining 10% to trade and livestock. It owns several tourist routes like the lagoons of Yuracmayo, the ruins of Maraynioc, the recreational center of Yaroca, etc. The food is varied, based on Creole cuisine.
During the workcamp, will be held the national festivities (July 28 and 29), and the first week of August will be celebrated the anniversary of the saint patron of the district of Palca ("Santo Domingo de Guzmán").
You can get more information visiting:
Some possible excursions are the Grotto of Huagapo "The deepest grotto of South America", the pre-Inca salt pans (Cachipozo) and the Perené Valley
These activities are optional and not covered by the workcamp budget. The participants will have to cover the costs of transportation and the entrance fees.
RequirementsBring a warm sleeping bag, working clothes, gloves and shoes, warm and rain clothes and a flashlight. Everybody must, in any case, bring their insurance certificate. If health issues happen on the project, volunteers will have to pay for it, and then be reimbursed once back in their home country.
NotesThe meeting point will be at the Tarma bus terminal, the 23 of July at 5 PM. The camp leaders will welcome the volunteers and then the group will move to Palca to be accomodated in the host house (30 minutes from Tarma). The community of Huaruyoc is located at 10 minutes from Palca.