Project DetailsCode: UPA/MLTV/05
Start date: 01 ene 2017
End date: 31 dic 2017
Term: Long Term (1 Month to a Year)
Category: SOCIAL, EDUCATIONAL
Theme: EDU, SOCI
Minimum Age: 18
Maximum Age: 99
DescriptionKindergarten is a critical stage in the development of each child because it lays the building blocks to future academic success. For learners this age, school is about building social, emotional, self-awareness, language, literacy and numerical skills as well as exposure to how the world works.
In Uganda, early childhood education is offered solely by private proprietors, majority of whom targeting children from high income families. Golden Hearts Kindergarten was therefore set up for disadvantaged children from both low-income and middle-income families with a view of nurturing them into wholesome learners.
Research shows that children learn more before the age of 6 than at any other stage in life. At Golden Hearts, we believe that each child is unique and develops/learns at his or her pace.
Volunteering with us will therefore be a memorable experience because it is fun-packed, intriguing, full of learning, and satisfying. You will surely make a difference!
Work And Activities
The volunteer will be expected to assist the full-time staff by participating in the following:
• Preparing resources and materials required in the learning process
• Assist with indoor and outdoor games.
• Assist in arranging parties and other special school days
• Preparing excursions and field tours
• Music, Dance and Drama
• Arts and Crafts
• Engaging children with enjoyable literature – reading, storytelling and writing.
• Contribute to documentation of children’s learning.
• Organize children’s holiday camps
• Arranging for teachers and parents’ workshops
• IT-related activities, e.g. web design, social networking, etc.
Accommodation And FoodThe Volunteer can stay at UPA Guest House, or at a selected host family. The school is 1km from UPA Guesthouse.
Public transport to and from the school is readily available at 3000 Uganda Shillings
PlaceThe project is located in a Peri-urban area where a big percentage of people can speak English well. There are of course some scores of the community and parents who are more comfortable with the local dialect Luganda.
Like most regions in Uganda people in this community are very friendly to visitors and are always interested to talk/work with people from other cultural backgrounds.
At Golden Hearts Kindergarten, the main language of communication is English
Requirements· The volunteer must:
· Exhibit passion/enthusiasm for children
· Be patient and flexible
· Be friendly and open minded
· Be creative and have a sense of humor
· Be honest, caring and reliable
· Exhibit effective communication skills appropriate for children
· Have respect for differences in personality, culture etc.
· Have a willingness to learn and share knowledge and experiences
NotesComment From UPA The placement requires volunteers that are highly motivated, creative and innovative. It is an interesting project and introduces you to a really local setting and early child growing experiences in Uganda.
All volunteers choosing school projects should always remember to consider the school holidays, schools are closed in April-May, August – September and December to Early February.
Past Volunteers From Slovakia and Germany