Project DetailsCode: UPA/MLTV/011
Start date: 01 ene 2017
End date: 31 dic 2017
Term: Long Term (1 Month to a Year)
Category: SOCIAL, EDUCATIONAL
Theme: EDU, SOCI
Minimum Age: 18
Maximum Age: 99
DescriptionAngel’s center for children with special needs was formed after our experience in raising a child with Down syndrome. Three years of raising Abryl opened our eyes to the constraints of raising a child with special needs. The constant hospital visits and adjusting to the development challenges made us acutely aware of the deficiency of such services in Uganda. In 2012 ACCSN was registered with Wakiso district to operate as a community Based Organization to provide a space of services for children with special needs (Reg No: WCBO/1131/12). A critical service is strengthening the capacity of families to cope with raising children with development challenges.
Vision: A Society which integrates children with special needs to fully realize their potentials.
Mission: To be a voice and to break the silence of disability in communities, through increasing access to information and service delivery.
We need to give disability a “human face” despite the challenge these children remain beautiful, lovely and important to the social network of Society.
Angel’s center has currently an enrollment of 15 children from the ages of 2-12years with different disabilities that range from Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, autism, mental retardation and communication disorders. Follow us on our website for more information on www.angelscenter.org
Work And Activities
· Provision of early learning for children with special needs
· Provision of occupational therapy to the children
· Community visits and rehabilitations
· Counseling and guidance services to parents
· Support parents with income generating activities
· Developing the research department
· The volunteer is expected to teach the children in early learning
· Support the child with activities of daily living like teaching the child to bath, brush, cook, wash etc
· Promote their hidden talents like sports and singing
· Play with the children
· Support the children with feeding
· Support the center in research on the current attitude and trends of disability and How cultural practices promote discrimination and abuse of disability
Accommodation And FoodIf you like to work with children with special needs, this is exactly the right project, where you can support and play with the children.
Requirements· Love to work with children with development challenges
· Emotionally strong
· Open minded
We also welcome skilled volunteers like Physiotherapist, Occupational therapist, Psychologist, Language therapist or Nurses.
LanguageThe stuff is able to speak English, communicating with the children can also be challenging since some of them are also challenged in their ability of talking.
NotesPast Volunteers Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Finland.
Comments from UPA If you like to work with children with special needs, this is exactly the right project, where you can support and play with the children.