Project DetailsCode: UPA/MLTV/012
Start date: 01 ene 2017
End date: 31 dic 2017
Term: Long Term (1 Month to a Year)
Category: SOCIAL, EDUCATIONAL
Theme: EDU, SOCI
Minimum Age: 18
Maximum Age: 99
DescriptionDorna Centre was started by Ms Dorothy Nambi after her sister, a mother of three children with the diagnosis of autism, passed away in a car accident. Ms Dorothy Nambi decided to take these children in and support them and she begun to provide therapy at her home to families with or without financial means.
Work And Activities
• Art therapy
• Brain gym
• Music therapy
• Occupational therapy
• Speech therapy
• Daily life therapy
• Vocational skills/Education
· The volunteer is expected to teach the children in early learning
· Support the child with activities of daily living like teaching the child to bath, brush, cook, wash etc
· Promote their hidden talents like sports and singing
· Play with the children
· Support the children with feeding
· Support the center in research on the current attitude and trends of disability and how cultural practices promote discrimination and abuse of disability
Accommodation And FoodUPA guest house but we can also arrange accommodation with the project if the volunteer is free to stay with the children.
Requirements· Love to work with children with development challenges
· Emotionally strong
· Open minded
We also welcome skilled volunteers like Physiotherapist, Occupational therapist, Psychologist, Language therapist or Nurses.
LanguageThe staff is able to speak English, communicating with the children can also be challenging since some of them are also challenged in their ability of talking.
NotesPast Volunteers : Japan
Comments from UPA
This is a new project of UPA. If you like to work with children with special needs, this is exactly the right project, where you can support and play with the children.